Monday, July 9, 2012

Decisions, decisions.....

Just when I think the busy part is behind me, I get another list of things that I have to pick out, decide on or figure out.  Some make my head spin (the 100+ lights to pick out), some are fairly straight forward (selecting fireplace wood mantel) and others, I didn't even know I'd have a choice on (my builder called and asked what hardware I selected for underneath the stair railings to attach to the wall....really? really? I didn't even know there were options for that...so I told him he could make the executive decision on that one!) :)

So, this past week I was determined to get a 4th of July deal on some appliances for the basement and mudroom.  I ended up getting 2 refrigerators, 2 washer/dryer sets and a dishwasher for a steal.  Plus, free delivery and installation.  I'm still so excited about my bargains, and I need to stay on that natural high because I'm still finishing up lighting selections which aren't going as well for the budget..haha!  Needless to say, I said "oh, why not? I'm living in the house forever, right?" a couple times, so there are some other light fixtures that are going to be quite ugly as a result of my gorgeous kitchen pendants and exterior lights! But, I'll hide those in the closets, laundry room, etc.

Here are some recent shots of the exterior, cabinets and trim details going in.  I have to say, Andrea (not me Andrea, the interior designer Andrea) and Marjie (interior decorator) are just amazing.  I love everything they've done and can't take credit for any of it.  And, my builder, Jonathan..love him!  I know I drive him crazy, but really, he's such a great guy.  I told him in the very beginning..."we like you now and we want to like you when this is over".  And, we still do..yeah!  We are still about a month out, and I still have a good feeling, so he was definitely a great decision we made...

Shots of kitchen cabinets.....







 We selected countertops this past week as well.  And, while I've had my heart set on a huge island with soapstone, the island is so big, that I'd need at least 2 seams somewhere.  And, as painful as it was, I went with granite for the island.  I still kept the soapstone for the perimeter/soft white cabinets (no way I was giving it up all together!).  So, as sad as I was, I made up for it in the selection of Vanilla Sky.  It's so yummy, I could lick it!  It has a really nice grey throughout (similar color to soapstone), a dark brown (to coordinate with the knotty alder island), and a couple tiny tiny tiny flecks of red.  So, it really couldn't have been more perfect for the kitchen.  Here's a shot of the slab....the picture does not do it justice!


And, the mudroom is looking pretty darn good!  I don't think I want it to be a mudroom anymore.  I can't imagine all the dirty cleats, baseball gear and everything else the boys drag in getting tossed in here.









And, here's the bath cabinet in the powder room in the mudroom...



 Family room is looking good.  Stone fireplace should get moving soon....wainscoting is just about finished up around the room.




Moving onto the master bath.....very excited how this is turning out!

Mark's side.


 
My side....



 Shower tile is all finished up....



This is hard to get a shot with the window right there, but the detailed trim around the tub is almost done...



Going upstairs.....main staircase...





 Top of stairs, looking down the hall (Nicks' room is first door on left, boys study is at the end on the left)





Boys study....built ins look good, but it's hard to see the weathered finish on the cabinets in this pic.




Laundry room



And, I got a steal of a deal on the countertops for the boys study and laundry room.  At the granite place this huge slab was cracked in half...it's an exotic granite that they gave me for the price of a remnant....felt good about that one!

The boys bathrooms are identical....





Going downstairs on the side staircase....




Down to the basement....



Basement bath....

 And, finally, the basement bar....

Back bar...stone wall will be above this cabinet.  



Front bar...they still need to cover the very front with the fenceboard.



Lastly, the updated exterior shots.  My builder found this amazing antique chestnut for the mudroom entrance.  Well, I shouldn't say my builder found it.  Jonathan & I both planned on this being cedar.  He was gone for a week, so the site supervisor, Vince, who I also love, went down to the supplier to check out what was available.  They showed him antique chestnut (who doesn't love THAT?) and he said "okay, it's exactly what she's looking for" so he got it.  I never saw it, Jonathan never saw it, and we were all a little stressed out about what exactly he ordered.  He never told us what it was...just that he got the wood for the mudroom.  Well, it was delivered, they installed it, and I absolutely love it!  The crazy part was when my builder got the bill for it....don't think any of us really knew it was chestnut until then :)  Luckily, I have a fixed price contract...whew!





More to come in the next two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment