Thursday, September 27, 2012

Moving on....

What a month!  Between school starting, baseball ramping up again, finishing every little detail on the new house and finally moving after 4 years of planning this, I've nearly lost my mind! I have yet to finish unpacking my clothes or my office, but did get a chance to use the kick butt wolf griddle!  And, did I mention my love-hate relationship with Verizon?
So, for those of you that know me well, I'm sure it's no surprise that I confirmed with Verizon that we could get Fios in the new house before we even bought the land...(I also confirmed with La Villa Roma that they would still deliver my favorite pizza to me at the new house but that's a whole other story we'll get into later!)  So, Verizon...we love Verizon for several reasons - one being the Fios connection. Who doesn't love that?  I mean, it's 10,000 times better then the cell phone connection I'm using right now!  I also love the fact that they don't try to charge me $4K dollars to install service like Comcast wants to do.  But, there's always a flip side!  We have gone insane over the fact that they can't keep their records straight.  "Yes you can get Fios", "no, you can't get Fios", "oh, np, you can get Fios", "oops, my bad, you can't get fios"...this roller coaster ride has made my job working from home complete hell.  However, I continue to take deep breaths bc at the end of the day, if Verizon wasn't the train wreck that they are with keeping records straight, I wouldn't have a job and I wouldn't be able to afford this house!

So, the latest is that we can get Fios!  Finally a technician came to my house to transfer the phone service (which I was delaying bc I wanted Fios and VZ kept giving me a different story). Anyway, when Dave showed up I specifically said "oh, Dave, you aren't here to install copper are you?  I mean, who wants to do THAT? THAT can't be anything to write home about.  I mean, it's sooo yesterday.  I know you want to bring me a Fios line!"   And, I pointed out the fact that every neighborhood off of our road has Fios.  I even pointed to a house and said to my boy Dave "Dave, do you see that house there?  Do you know what they are doing right now?  They are surfing the net on their superfast Fios connection while watching ESPN on their Fios TV service."  And, "What am I doing, Dave?  I'm downloading GBs of data for my job using my stinkin' cell phone right now.  How is that fair, Dave?  It's not, is it?"   Fortunately, Dave had a good sense of humor and is competent in his job.  He drove up the street, escalated to his managers, and said "we are on it...it will take about 2 weeks bc of some additions we need to make, but no problem at all"   Ahhh, I love Dave! :)

So, the house....

It's definitely getting there.  Although, I have to say, after  living in the same house for 12 years, I think I underestimated the effort of the move/unpacking process, for sure!  Last time we moved, Joe was 1, Nick wasn't in the picture yet, and we didn't have any furniture!  This time, we have 2 kids, a lot of baseball gear, more furniture then we have rooms and just a lot of "stuff".   So, I'm sharing pics I took after the cleaners were at the new house, but before we invaded with 1000s of boxes.  And, fortunately, my friend Eve let me use her camera that has the wide angle lens so hopefully you get a better idea of some of the rooms now!

The kitchen...oh, I love the kitchen! 











 Where we will put the big farmhouse table if I ever have time to order it!


Love the view from here!

 


And, the barn door that Angry Joe built for me!  I think he secretly misses me and all my extra add-on projects I had for him!  So here are a few pics of the space connecting the family room and kitchen...









 Family Room....

Pics of foyer, dining room, and halls

 










Butlers pantry between Dining Room and Hallway...





Light in entry way to master and first floor powder room...





 Master....
































Shots of mudroom









Upstairs hall view into office...






Leaving  office, looking down hallway...



Guest bath on the right...










Guest bedroom...




Boys rooms...














Hallway view outside the boys rooms...
 

Laundry...



Hallway view from laundry/study area and misc stair/hallway pics...










Basement....





 












And, finally, the screen porch/deck....










We are getting a yard today, so the view of brown dirt will hopefully turn to a beautiful green yard soon for the boys to make the baseball diamond and football fields!


But, overall, it's been a great move and we look forward to getting settled in with our new routine!






10 comments:

  1. The end result looks fantastic. The space looks open and light with all the windows. It also seems like you have gotten a nice balance of wood to carpets in the house. What sort of wood did you use for the flooring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We used reclaimed oak wood beams from Appalachian Woods in Stuarts Draft, VA. It's their antique beam sawn oak flooring product.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous home! Do you have a plan you can share? I found a link to your blog from gardenweb. :)

    -Krystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krystal - thanks! The floorplan is up on a post in April.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, I just discovered your blog! What a gorgeous home!! More pictures please:)

    Greetings from Norway! Have a great weekend:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful home. Where can I see the front outside of your home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnonymousJuly 23, 2013

      Thanks! I've been a little slack at posting exteriors.

      My builder has some on his website - http://www.brusharbor-homes.com/portfolio

      Delete
    2. Sorry, it's listed on his site as the Evergreen

      Delete
  5. My goodness your home is absolutely amazing! I love all the unique little touches!

    ReplyDelete