Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cruising along....

The boys school bus route takes them by the house on the way to and from school everyday.  Going to school, they can't really see the house because it's tucked behind a hill (the same one I stand on with my photo buddy to get the full house shot).  But, on the way home, in a blink of an eye, if they sit on the left side of the bus, they can see the progress that day. 

At first, they could take or leave moving to the new house.  While they were intrigued by the change, because it was just on paper, it wasn't "exciting enough" for them.  But, now that they can see it going up and the changes each day, they rush in the door off the bus, break down my office door and give me an update on what happened that day - "the walls are up", "the windows are cut out", "the second floor is up"..and so on. Well, today (about 2 weeks after framing started), I received a "they are  putting  the roof on".  Really?  Already?  Seriously...that's about one week ahead of schedule.  I guess this beautiful weather has them working all day and as nice as it is, probably enjoying it!  I know I'd rather be outside then sitting behind the computer all day!

So, I ran up there today with my friend Eve.  I couldn't believe the progress in just this past week...so exciting to walk through just about every room.  They are still finishing up the second floor (my office and guest bath), but it's looking pretty good.  The real roof, windows and doors should go up next week (I think). 

I only took a couple shots bc the guys were still working, and I didn't think they wanted to be on my blog.  At least not yet anyway.  Once I become a famous blogger and actually have a business title of "blogger", then maybe they'll regret the opportunity. 



My builder has a stone wall sample for me to check out tomorrow. I'm pretty excited about that.  We are doing a lighter mortar - to reflect the old stone homes. Although he said he thought it might be a tad too light.  If I think it is, he said he'll make it darker anyway.  They also did the mortar 2 different styles for me to check out.  Apparently, one shows the shape of the stone and just has the mortar around it. But the other is an attempt at the historical look - where the mortar was smothered all over the stone and you couldn't really see the full shape of the stone. I'm trying to manage my expectations on that bc I have in my mind what that looks like (not to mention it's all around me in the real stone homes/buildings down town that I drive by every day!).   I'm really hoping it looks like what I want it to!

More pics to come this weekend....

No comments:

Post a Comment